What's New Archives: October 1996
October 31, 1996
October 30, 1996
- New links in the Peru page: "Dia de la Cancion
Criolla" and "Rumbos", under the Arts & Culture section; the
"Gestion" under the Business & Finance section; and "Sociedad
Fisica" and "Asociacion Peruana de Astronomia", under the
- The K-12 page has three new links to
(Internet Public Library)-Youth page" and "Teen Division" and "WebINK"
the International Resources section.
October 29, 1996
- "La Cocina" a monthly newsletter, has been added to the Regional
Resources section of the Food page.
- The publishers "Blume" and "Edunsa", and a link to "Other Commercial
Publishers", have been added to the Publishers &
Bookdealers section of our Publications
- In the Libraries page, under the
Catalogs section for Countries Outside Latin America, can be found
Carnegie Mellon University Libraries, and Columbia University. Also has
added a link to the Digital Library Collection from Columbia University,
the section Digital Library Projects.
October 28, 1996
- The Library of Congress Country Studies have been added under the
General Information sections of the Peru,
Chile, and Uruguay pages.
- The Libraries page, has now new links to
American Society for Information Science, ASLIB The Association for
Information Management, Canadian Library Association, The Institute of
Information Scientists, U.K., the Library Association, U.K., the MLA
Library Association, REFORMA, and Texas Library Association; under the
Associations section. In the same page six links to libraries
Latin America have been added under the Online Catalogs section.
October 25, 1996
- Two sites about Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, have been added to the
Mexico section of our Literature page.
- "Cyberayllu" an electronic magazine published by Peruvians, can now
reached from the Arts & Culture section of the Peru page.
- Two new sites "Pagina del Cafe Colombiano" and the "Great Mexican
have been added to the Regional Resources section of the Food page.
- The K-12 page has now twelve new links.
"Dia de los Muertos" and "El Mundo de Karla" under the Latin American
Resources section; "Mrs. Rodriguez Class", under the Children's
Literature in Spanish section; and "Bilingual Educational Resources
Net", "Canada's SchoolNet", "La Clase Bilingue", "Elementary Spanish",
"Global Lab", "Great Bilingual Education Sites", "Network Montana Project",
"Paso Partners", and "Primary Education (K-3) Resources for Bilingual
Educators", under the Teachers' Resources section.
- The website for the
daily La Hora can now be reached from the News section of
- The Sociology page has a new
Religion section, which provides links to information about
umbanda, voudo, and more.
October 24, 1996
- UT-LANIC now has a new subject area for Immigration & Migration. Check it out today!
- The Sociology page has a new
section for Population & Demography with links to resources from
about Latin America.
- "On Assignment: Ecuador" has been added to the News &
Newsgroups section of the Ecuador page.
- The Cuba page now has the "Cuban Affairs"
magazine in the News & Publications section.
October 23, 1996
- New links in our Travel page: Chilean
Guide, GoSki - Chile; under the Chile section. A1 Cuban Cigars,
Cuba section; Paginas de Mexico, in the Mexico section;
from Haiti, and Haiti; under the Haiti section; and Viajes,
in the Venezuela section.
- The Latin American Resources section of the Development
page has a new link to LADARK, The Latin American Development Archive at
Johns Hopkins University.
October 22, 1996
- The Thomas Rivera Center of Scripps College has been added to the
Regional Resources section of the Sociology page.
- You can now find maps for major Latin American and world cities in
the Other Map Sites section of the Maps
- "Yun Kax" a Spanish program in Guatemala, has been added to the
Schools Programs section, of our Languages page
- The website "RETAnet" providing resources for teaching about the
has been added to the Teachers' Resources section of our K-12 page.
- The Food page has a new link to "Cyber
under the Regional Resources section.
- The Peru page has five new links
to "Artistas, Cantantes y Compositores", "Ascinsa Art-Galeria de Arte",
Cine-Club Miraflores", under the Arts & Culture section;
Comercio Exterior Peru", under the Business & Finance section; and
"Siesta Tours", under the Travel & Tourism section.
- Check out the new Ecuador section on the Environment page with two new links.
- The Ecuador page has added a new section,
Arts & Culture with links to "Cuenca-Ecuador
Home Page" and "Pintores de Tigua:
Indigenous Artists of Ecuador".
- The Ecuador page has also added "Directorio
Oficial de Exportadores del Ecuador" and "Ecuador Trade Center" under the
Economy section, and "On Assignment: Ecuador" under the News &
October 21, 1996
- The Peru page has a new section Flora &
with six new links. Also in the same page can be found, "Culture Chanka"
and "Trujillo - Lugares Arqueologicos" under the
Arts & Culture section. And,
"Peru Pais Arqueologico", "Peru por Departamentos", "Peru, que bonito",
"Photos from Peru" under the Travel & Tourism section.
- The "Colegio Militar Leoncio Prado" has been added to the Peru
Schools section of our K-12 page.
- The Martinique page has added
"Intellicast:Fort-de-France Weather" and "Discover Martinique!"
- Take a look at the new link, "Island Resources Foundation" on the Virgin Islands page for information about
environmental and developmental problems facing small tropical islands.
- The Environment page has added a
new Belize subheading with links to the "Toledo Ecoturism
Association" and the "Belize Center for Environmental Studies." Also
visit the Brazil section of this page to see a new link to
"Brazilian National Forests and Extractive Reserves."
- The Anthropology page has added
"Applied Anthropology Computer Network" in the General section.
October 19, 1996
- The K-12 page has a
new link to "High Schools
On Line - USA By State" in the K-12 Schools outside Latin America
section. The International Resources section, has new links to
"Berit's Best Sites for Children", "Children's House", "The Electric
Postcard", "Kid's Club", "KidsCom", and "Performing Arts Centers &
Partners in Education". The Teacher's Resources section has new
to "Classroom Internet Server Cookbook", "KidsCom - Teacher Links", and
"Professional Development Opportunities for Teachers".
- A new section: Newsgroups & Mailing Lists with six links, has
added to our Languages page. In the same page, under
General Resources section, can be found links to
Linguistics" from the Carnegie Mellon University,, "Language &
from the FREE Internet Encyclopedia, the "Ohio University CALL Lab", and
"World-Wide Web Virtual Library: Linguistics"
- Two new links to "ECHO - EURODICAUTOM (Euro-Dictionary)" and "Free
Internet Encyclopedia", can be found in the Dictionaries &
Encyclopedias section of our Reference page.
- The Venezuela page has a new link in
the Business & Economy section to INDI-C, a good resource for
statistics for the country.
- Lonely Planet's Destination Bolivia is now in the Travel
section of the Bolivia page.
- The Health page has a new link to the
Nucleo de Informatica Biomedica Universidade Estadual de Campinas, now in
the Brazil section.
October 18, 1996
- Follow Nicaraguan Presidential elections on the web! The
Presidential Elections section of our
Nicaragua page has new links to
the Official Home Page for the 1996 Elections, the Nota de Prensa
(Results) site, and Telematix's Elecciones '96 page.
October 17, 1996
- We have added two new pages to our Subject Directory. We now
have a Women page and a Development page.
- Virtual Stained Glass, the artwork of Ricardo Baez-Duarte, has been
added to the Venezuela section of the
- The Aruba page has three new links:
"SETARNET" in Network & Information Services; "Aruba-Official
Travel Guide" in Travel & Tourism section; and "Eco-
Aruba Home Page" in the General section.
- Check out the three new links on the Cayman
Islands page: "Cayman WebGuide" in the General Section; and
"Internet Access" and "Cayman Online" both in the Network &
Information Services section.
- The Guadeloupe page has added
"SYSTEL:Internet Service Provider," "ANTILLES Info Tourisme," and
"Guadeloupe, The Civilized Island."
- The French Guiana page now has
"TeacherSoft," "Lonely Planet,Destination: French Guiana."
October 16, 1996
- The Cuba page has three new links:
"CubaNet:CUBA, Portrait of a Nation", "Buro de Prensa Independiente de
"Agencia de Prensa Independiente."
- The Astronomy page now has
"NOVA-Efemerides y Eventos Astronomicos."
- The Haiti page has added "Doing Business in
Haiti" to the Business & Economy section.
- "La Pagina Oficial" of the Dominican Republic is now on the Dominican Republic page in the General section.
- "Nation Online" is now in the News & Publications
section of the Barbados page.
October 15, 1996
- The Armada de Venezuela has been added to the South America
section of the Military page.
- Our Sports page has a new link
to Deportes en Linea, from Venezuela.
- The Guide to Andean Countries has been added to the
Resources section of our Travel page.
- Our Food page has four new links:
the World-The FAQ about Spices under the Regional Resources
section; and Nutricion Humana, MexFoods and
under the Mexico Country Resources section.
- New additions to our Peru page, under the
- Arts & Culture: Galeria de Arte Virtual, Jose Sabogal,
Martin Chambi, Mummies from the Inca, Museo de la Electricidad,
Procesion del Senor de los Milagros, and Las Tumbas del Senor de Sipan
- Government: Instituto Nacional de Defensa Civil,
Superintendencia Nacional de Aduanas, and Zona Franca de Tacna
- Education: CEPRECYT-Centro de Preparacion para la
Ciencia y la Tecnologia
- General Information: Peru, a site by R. Gamarra
- News & Periodicals: Actualidad Laboral
- Travel & Tourism: A Guide to Andean Countries - Peru
October 14, 1996
- The Biblioteca Comboniana Afro-Brasileira - Publicacoes has
added to the Publishers & Bookdealers section of our Publications page.
- The K-12 page, has ten new links.
Juventud, Mundo Latino a forum for children, and Zona
a Children's Resources site, have been added to the Latin
American Resources section. The Hotlist of K-12 School Sites in
USA, the Thurgood Marshall Middle School
and Texas K-12 Schools are now under the K-12 Schools Outside
America section. Surfing to Pages for K-12 Students, and
Children's House can be found in the International
section. And, Rainforest Workshop Educational Resources, and
for K-12 Educators and Administrators have been added to the
- The Bolivia
page has three new
additions. El Deber, from Santa Cruz, has been added to the
Newsgroups section; Nueva Economia, an electronic magazine of
Bolivian economy, is now in the Business & Economics section; and
SERES is now listed in the WWW Servers section.
- NotiExpress On Line, a Venezuelan business magazine, can now
be found in the Business & Economy section of our Venezuela page.
- The Congreso de Venezuela is now in the Government section of
our Venezuela page.
- The Health page has a new link to
Accion Ciudadana Contra el SIDA, an AIDS awareness network from
October 11, 1996
- The newspaper "La Republica", and the magazine "La Brecha" have been
added to the News & Newsgroups section of our Uruguay page.
- Three new publications "Guia de la computacion", "Guia telefonica de
Argentina", and "Don Quijote de la Mancha" have been added to the
Electronic publications section of our Publications page.
- A link to "Seleccion de Diccionarios Digitales" has been added to the
Dictionaries section of our Reference page.
- Our Languages page, has four new links:
CAMILLE: Espanol Interactivo, and La Pagina del idioma Espanol, under the
Spanish Language section; and Mexica Chicano Aztec Nahuatl
Glossary, and Nahuatl Vocabulary and Contemporary Poems, under the
Aztec Language section.
- In our Literature page, can be
found new links to Literatura Espanola e Hispanoamericana,
Mexican-American Literature and Proverbios, under the section Latin
American Resources. Under the Regional Resources, new
links to Internauta, in the Argentina section; Pablo Neruda, Poeta
Chileno, in the Chile section; Sextante, in the Mexico
section; and Ruben Dario and Literatura de Nicaragua, in the
- The newspaper "El Comercio" has been added to the News &
Periodicals section of our Peru page.
Comunicaciones has been added to the WWW
Servers section of the Venezuela page.
- The Government & Politics page has
a new link in the Mexico section to the Partido Accion Nacional (PAN).
October 10, 1996
- The Magazines & Periodicals section of our Brazil page now includes
a searchable index of Science & Technology magazines: Diretorio
Eletronico das Revistas em Ciencia e Tecnologia.
- The News & Newsgroups section of our Argentina page
has a new link to Brief: Diario con
resumenes de noticias politicas, economicas, y gremiales de la Argentina.
The Government section now
includes Los Gastos Reservados en el Gobierno Nacional.
- Three new links to the Anthropology page: Taino Inter-Tribal
Council, Lords of the Earth, and Worldwide Email Directory of
- Amanka'a: Amazon Network and GAIA: Forest Conservation Archives have
been added to the General Resources section of the Environment page.
October 9, 1996
- Three of Brazil's major political parties -- the Partido dos
Trabalhadores (PT), the Partido da Social Democracia Brasileira (PSDB),
and the Partido do Movimento Democratico Brasilero (PMDB) -- are
now in the Brazil section of our Government & Politics page.
- Try the new link to La Boletina from the
October 8, 1996
- Two new links to the Red Latinoamericana de Salud Publica and the
Latino Health Institute have been added to the Regional
Health Organizations and Networks section of the Health page.
- The Chile page, has 9 new links: "La Guerra del
Pacifico", under the Academic Research Resources. The
"Coleccion Virtual de Patrimonio Artistico y Arquitectonico Chileno y
LatinoAmericano", "Patrimonio Cultural - Valparaiso", and "El Rincon de la
Musica Folklorica y Popular de Chile"; under the Arts & Humanities
section. And the "Chile-Consular Information Sheet", "Chile in Pictures",
Chile", "Santiago", and "Turismo"; under the Travel & Tourism
- Our Travel page, has now two new links
to "Argentina" and "Cancun" under the Country Resources section.
- Two new links to "Instituto Tecnologico y
de Estudios Superiores de Occidente" in Mexico, and "Universidad de los
Andes" in Venezuela; have been added to the Online Catalogs
section of our Libraries page.
October 7, 1996
- El Rincon de la Musica Folklorica y Popular de Chile
has been added to the Other Countries section of our Music page.
- A new link to "Costa Rican Educational Opportunities & Language
has been added under the Spanish Language Schools in Latin America
section of our Languages page.
- Our Chile page has now two new links to
"Instituto Nacional de la Juventud" under the Government Resources
section, and "Turismo Joven" under the Travel & Tourism section.
- The site "Coffee & Agriculture Issues in the Americas", has been
added to the Non-Goverment Resources section of our Agriculture page.
- Our Travel page has now 4 new links:
"Consular Information Sheets", "Isla Virtual", and "Travel Information",
the Dominican Republic section; and "Turismo Joven", under the
October 4, 1996
- Our Food page has four new links, the
FAO site in the General section, and Chocolatier-Flavor of Brazil,
Recetas Chapinas from Guatemala, and Sabores de Chiapas from Mexico;
in the Country Resources section.
- Two new sites: Kid's Web and Kids & Human Resources, have been added
the International Resources section of our K-12 page.
- Two new links, Salud en Cuba and PsicoNet, have been added to the Health page.
- In the General section of our Literature page two
new links to Pagina Literaria and Indigenous People's Literature can be
found. Also, links to
Jorge Luis Borges and Literatura y Libros from Argentina; Art &
Literature of Guatemala; Poesia de Nicaragua; and Poesia Chiapaneca
(Mexico) have been added under the Country Resources section.
- The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral has been added to the Brazil
section of our Government & Politics page.
- The Sports page has a new link to
Index.AR - deportes, a collection of sports links from Argentina.
- The PARLINE Database from the Inter-Parliamentary Union, a searchable
database of national parliaments and electoral results, is now in the
Regional Resources section of our Government & Politics page.
- The Brazil section of the Government & Politics page has seven new
links to the following:
- Constitution of the Federal Republic of Brazil
- Executive Cabinet
- Federal Police
- Legislation On-line
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Foreign Relations
- Ministry of Justice
October 3, 1996
- The Brazil page has a
new Afro-Brazilian Studies section, including the following links:
An African Brazilian Connection, 300 Anos de Zumbi, II Consulta de
Teologia e Culturas Afro-americanas e
Caribenhas, Gilberto Gil, Grupo Atabaque (Grupo de reflexo
sobre teologia e negritude) and Roda Capoeira.
- "The Guardian" is now in the News section, and "Doing Business
in Trinidad and Tobago" is in the Economy section of the Trinidad and Tobago page.
- The Cuba Research Institute's gopher is now in the Cuba page.
- The Anthropology page now has
"One Hundred Years of Anthropology in Costa Rica".
- "Conservation International" has been added to the General
Resources section of the Environment page.
- The Human
Rights page has 23 new links, including new Latin American,
international, and country resources, and has been reorganized. Browse
through to see this 'new' page!
October 2, 1996
- A new link to Asesoria en Alta Direccion has been added to the
Business and Finance section of our Peru page.
- The Ecuador page now has links to the
"Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores" in the Government section,
as well as, "Indigenous People's of Ecuador" and the "Ecuadorian Amazon"
- The Jamaica page has added the U.S.
Department of Commerce's "International Business Practices" to the
Economy section, and the Jamaica Tourist Board's "Welcome to
Jamaica" site to the Travel section.
- A new link to UNAM libraries' web site and catalog, has been added
under the Online Catalogs section of our Libraries page.
- Three new links have been added to our Publications page: the Association of American
University Presses, and the Latin American Bookstore, under the
Publishers & Bookdealers section; and the Latin American History
Databank, under the Electronic Publishing section.
Music page has nineteen new links and has been reorganized. New pages
include Iberian & Latin American Music OnLine (which offers a mailing
list and conference announcements), Antonio's Music Page (a guide to
rhythms, instruments & styles), A Glossary of Latin Music Terminology,
Inter-American Music Council Awards and Fellowships, LAMC-L: Academic
Discussion of Latin American Music, and many, many more new resources.
Browse through it to see the changes!
- Our Paraguay page has ten new links:
- The Government section has new links to the Congreso Nacional
Paraguay, the Presidencia de la Republica, the Ministerio de Educacion y
Culto, and the Paraguay Government Data Page from Georgetown University;
- Diario ABC Color and Noticias On Line are now in the
News & Electronic Forums section;
- Lonely Planet's Destination: Paraguay has been added to the Travel
& Tourism section; and
- Infonet, Planet, and Uninet Paraguay have been added to the new
WWW Servers section.
- A link to the Parks and Protected Areas in Honduras has been added to
the Honduras page.
- The new homepages for three Spanish language schools have been added
Costa Rica page: Escuela de Idiomas D'Amore,
Rancho de Español, and Instituto Universal de Idiomas.
Back to What's
LANIC | Copyright © 1992-2015 University of Texas at