What's New Archives: February 1997
February 28, 1997
February 27, 1997
- The Environment page has been
updated to include a new Regional Sources section with new
links to the "Business Council for Sustainable Development-Latin
America" and "The Latin American Alliance" as well as a new,
expanded International Resources section.
February 26, 1997
- Favorite Recipes from Ipanema, and Receitas da Vovó, have been
added to the Brazil section of our Food page.
- The publications MG Turismo Online, and Ciencia da Informacao, can
now be found in the Brazil section of our Electronic Publications page.
- The Brazil section of our Travel page,
has several additions: Brazil Nature Ecoturism, Catalogo Brasileiro de
Hoteis e Agencias de Turismo, MG Turismo Online, Nature Safaris, Rio
Tourist Information, Tourism in Brazil, Travelling to Brazil!!!, and Yaih? -
- New additions to the Online Catalogs & Homepages section,
Brazil part, of our Libraries page: Biblioteca Municipal de Santos
"Alberto Sousa", Instituto Brasileiro de Informacao em Ciencia e
Tecnologia (IBICT), Rede Antares, Universidade Catolica de Brasilia (UCB),
Universidade de Brasilia (UnB), Universidade de Fortaleza, Universidade
Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora,
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), and Universidade Federal do
Rio Grande do Sul.
- Visit our redesigned Finance section
under the Business & Finance page with many new country links.
February 25, 1997
- You can now find in our Travel page,
the Lonely Planet Destination's guides for each Central American and South
American country. In the same page, the Guyana Online Tourist Guide has
been added to the Guyana section; and a new section for
Panama has been created with five links.
- The Inter-American Development Bank Publications site, has been added
to the Regional Resources section of our Publishers page.
- The webpages of the Melgar Futbol Club, and Futbol Peruano en Tiempo
Real, have been added to the newly created Sports section, of our
Peru page. In the same page, you can now find ACI
Digital, under the General Information section.
- The Credito Agricola de Habilitacion has been added to the
Paraguay section of our Agriculture page.
- You can now find the school La Pedrera, from Guatemala, under the
Other Latin American Schools section, of our K-12 page.
- The CEMA Instituto Universitario, has been added to the
Argentina section of our Higher
- The following information from the Inter-American Development Bank:
Basic Socio-Economic Data, Income Distribution Data, Current Economic and
Policy Trends, Overview-Country Economic Assessments, Proposed Project
Documents, and Approved Project Documents, has been added to the
Business & Economy sections of our Chile,
Peru, and Uruguay pages.
February 24, 1997
- The Bolivia page has a host of new
additions. They include
- Mascaras de Bolivia, now in the Arts & Culture
- The Universidad Mayor de San Andres and the Universidad
Autonoma Gabriel Rene Moreno, in the Eduaction section;
- The Ministerio de Desarollo Social, Secretaria Nacional de
Participacion Popular (SNPP); the Banco Central de Bolivia;
Bolivia Constitutions; and the Prefectura del Departmento de La
Paz, which can be found in the Government section; and
- In the News & Newsgroups section, ERBOL - Agencia de
February 20, 1997
- UT-LANIC is pleased to announce an addition to our subject section: a
new Management page. The page includes
links to MBA schools and research centers in Latin America, to
journals and periodicals, and to other
resources in the Internet. We hope you find it useful.
- ReID-Base de Datos de Resumenes de Informacion y Documentacion, has
been added to the Newsgroups & Network Resources section of our Libraries page.
- Our Languages page has the
following new additions: Coleção Línguas Indígenas do Brasil, in the
Regional Resources section; Public Accesible Mailing Lists -
Language and Linguistics, in the Newsgroups & Mailing Lists
section; and Centre for Theories of Language and Learning, and Languages
from the Native Web, both in the International Resources section.
- The Brazil section of our Literature page, has 4 new links:
Assocacao de Estudos Euclidianos, Literatura Afro-Brasileira, Literatura
e poesia, and Yaih? - Literatura.
February 19, 1997
- The Sistema Económico Latinoamericano (SELA)
is pleased to announce publication of the most recent issue of
Capítulos del SELA. Issue number 48 is titled
Industria, Tecnología y Competitividad.
This issue includes articles by specialists from Mexico,
Chile, Uruguay, and India, and by representatives of
international organizations, looking at the relationship
between industry, technology and competitiveness
from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- The Journals & Magazines section of our Electronic Publications page, has several
additions. You can now find a number of new links in the
Brazil part, and Lecturas Matematicas, and Revista Colombiana de
Matematicas, in the Colombia part. Also in the same page, the site
Yaih? - Noticias & Revistas, from Brazil, has been added to the
February 18, 1997
- New links in our Higher Education
page: Pontificia Universidad Javeriana - Seccion Cali in Colombia,
and Universidad del Sagrado Corazon, in Puerto Rico
- Our K-12 page has four new additions:
Agendinha, and Ciencia Hoje das Criancas, in the Regional Resources
section; and Argus Clearinghouse : Education, LION Librarians Information
Online Network, in the International Resources section.
- The site Writings of Carlos Fuentes, has been added to the
Mexico section, of our Literature page. In the same page, in the
Paraguay section, you can find Biblioteca Paraguaya El Lector, and
Breve Diccionario de la Literatura Paraguaya.
- Our Libraries page, has several
additions: the homepages of the libraries of the Universidad de Chile,
Universidad del Valle, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, la Hemeroteca
Nacional Universitaria de Colombia, the library of CINVESTAV in Mexico,
the library of the Universidad del Sagrado Corazon in Puerto Rico, the
library of the Universidad de la Republica in Uruguay, the ULALIB
system from the Universidad de los Andes in Venezuela, the Directorio
de Bibliotecas Españolas, and the LibWeb directory,
all of them added to the Online Catalogs & Homepages section. In
the Newsgroups & Network Resources section, you can find The
Internet Public Library - Homepage, Library Resources, and LION. In the
Library Schools section, you can find Escola de Biblioteconomia da
UFMG, Biblioteconomia y Documentacion from Leon, Spain; and the
directories Library Schools, LIS Schools on the Net, and World List of
Departments and Schools of Information Studies, Information Management,
Information Systems, etc.
- Three new aditions to the Mexico page: The
Secretaria de Desarrollo Social and the Secretaria de Contraloria y
Desarrollo Administrativo, under the Government & Public
Administration section, and the Seccion Amarilla (Yellow Pages),
under the Other Resources section.
- A link to Los Murales Mexicanos can now be found under the Arts &
Humanities section of the Mexico page. Enjoy.
February 17, 1997
- Two new links in our K-12 page: Yaih? -
Educacao, in the Brazil country resources section; and Education Free
Forum, in the Teachers' Resources section.
- The site Simon Schwartzman: Main Texts on Higher Education, has been
added to the Regional Resources section of our Higher Education page. In the same page a
list of Universidades Chilenas can now be found in the Chile section.
- The Agencia Catolica de Informaciones en America Latina has been
added to the Religion section of our Sociology page.
- A new link to Dominican Baseball can be found in the
Dominican Republic section of the Sports page.
- The Business & Economy section of the Venezuela page has a new link to the The
Venezuela Export Directory.
February 14, 1997
- Our Agriculture page has been
re-organized an updated with sections for Regional, Country
and International Resources. New links can be particularly found under
the Argentina, Brazil,and Mexico country sections, and
in the International Resources section.
- The Paraguay page has several new links.
You can now find:
- The Biblioteca Paraguaya el Lector in the Arts &
- The Administracion Nacional de Electricidad, the
Administracion Nacional de Telecomunicaciones, the Tribunal
Superior de Justicia Electoral, and the Credito Agricola de
Habilitacion, now in the Government section;
- In the General section, the Guia Telefonica del
Paraguay and the Hospital de Clinicas have been added;
- The Bolsa de Valores de Asuncion is now in the Economy
- A link to Turismo Paraguay is new to the Travel &
- The Sports page has two new
links to the Confederacion Sudamericana de Futbol (CONMEBOL) and
Alianza Lima, one of the premier soccer clubs in Peru. As
well, the Brazil section has two new links to Abada
Capoeira and Capoeira Angola.
- The pages for the Ministerio da Administracao Federal e
Reforma do Estado and the Governo do Brasil are now in the
Brazil section of the Government & Politics page.
- Take a
look at the Museo Virtual presented by the Universidad
Michoacana found now under the Arts & Humanities section of the Mexico page.
link to ProParaguay can now be found under the
Other countries resources of the Trade
- A summary of current agriculture production in Paraguay can be found
under the Other Countries section of the Statistics page.
February 13, 1997
- New to the Environment page:
"Ambiente Ecologico" in Argentina section; "Pantanal - Meio Ambiente" in
Brazil section; and "Asociación de Apicultores del Paraguay" and
"Fundación Ecocultura - Rescate Audio-Visual - Paraguay" both under the
newly created Paraguay section.
February 12, 1997
- The Government & Politics page has
three new additions. The Casa del Gobierno de El Salvador and the
Tribunal Supremo Electoral are now in the El Salvador section, and
the Sistema de la Integración Centroamericana has been added to the
Regional Resources section.
February 11, 1997
- An Academic & Research Resources section has been added to the Environment page as well as links to the
"International Institute for Sustainable Development", "Commission for
Environmental Cooperation", "CONABIO-Mexican Biodiversity Commission",
"Red de Desarrollo Sostenible", "Guyana & Suriname Rainforest
Conservation Documents", and "Brazilian Rainforest Conservation Documents".
- The Guyana page has an assortment of new
links, including Recent Economic Trends from the IADB, The Guyanese
Online Tourist Guide, Guyana Rainforest Conservation Documents, and a
site for Guyanese Songs.
- A new link to derechos humanos en Venezuela has been added to the
General Information section of the Venezuela page.
February 10, 1997
- We continue with our renovation process, and now we are glad to
announce our new page Electronic
Publications which includes publications full-text or in special
online formats, available on the Network. In this page you can find
sections for Books, Conference Proceedings, and Journals & Magazines.
The Newspapers continue to be part of our News page. Your suggestions about this and
other new pages are always welcome!
February 8, 1997
- As part of the renovation of our economy-related pages, we are
pleased to announce a new Trade
page. On this new subject page you will find
publications, foreign trade figures, regional research and promotion
institutions, and also well-known international information
resources and organizations.
February 7, 1997
- The Business & Finance page has been
redesigned and updated to include country-specific sections and lots of
new links. Thanks to Jaime Morfin for helping with the new design.
- At the Latin American Studies Association's LASA97 Congress, to be
held April 17-19 in Guadalajara, Mexico, LANIC will be hosting an
Internet/PC Training Center. Through the Center, Congress participants
will be able to chose from a broad program of workshops, training
sessions, and demonstrations of electronic resources for
Latinamericanists. The training program will include sessions in English,
Spanish, and Portuguese. For additional information, including the full
program and on-line registration forms, please consult our LASA97 Internet/PC Training
Center pages. Pointers to these Training Center pages can be found in
the Academic Research Resources section of the LANIC Joint Projects page, as well as
on the official LASA97 Congress
site, which contains a weath of information on the Congress itself and on
the city of Guadalajara.
- Our Search page has been redesigned and
expanded, with a new focus on the growing number of search engines in
Latin America. The page can be reached via the Search button
located at the top of all LANIC pages.
- In the Brazil section of our African Diaspora page you
will now find "Brazilian Black Movement", a paper presented at the Arthur R.
Ashe Jr. Foreign Policy Library by Afro-Brazilian political scientist
Diva Moreira. Diva Moreira is the founder of Casa Dandara and currently
Director of the Municipal Secretariat for Black Community Affairs in
Belo Horizonte, MG. This site is hosted by the TransAfrica Forum in
- Country resources from The Political Database of
the Americas, Center for
Latin American Studies at Georgetown University, have been added to our Peru, Chile, and Uruguay pages.
- The site Economia Social de Mercado, has been added to our Peru page.
- Our Travel page has now a link to Art
Worshops in Guatemala.
February 5, 1997
- The renovation continues at LANIC. Now, the statistics
has been redesigned. We added country-specific resources, new regional
resources, well known statistics research resources, and other
clearinghouses available on the Internet.
- New links in our Agriculture
page: Ancient Raised Field Agriculture in Bolivia, and Extension
Agropecuaria, both in the Non-Government Resources section.
- The Balneario Camboriu, in Santa Catarina, Brazil, has been added to
the Brazil section of our Travel page.
- The VII Transborder Forum of Libraries in Ciudad Juarez Mexico, can be
found in the Newsgroups & Networks section of our Libraries page.
- S.L.C.C. a Spanish School in Dominican Republic, has been added to
the Spanish Language Schools section of the Languages page.
- New link in the Peru page: Futbol Peruano en
tiempo real, in the General Information section.
- A new addition to our Chile page: Prochile,
in the Business & Economy section.
- The Art Gallery "Daniel Escardo" has been added to the Arts &
Humanities section of our Uruguay page.
February 4, 1997
- The Human Rights page includes a
variety of new resources.
Latin American Resources:
Committee in Solidarity with the Central American People (CISCAP)
Democracy and Human Rights in the Americas
Latin America & Caribbean Solidarity Association (LACASA)
PeaceNet: Latin American Resources
Witness for Peace
World Views: Latin America & Caribbean
Argentina: Argentina Human Rights Information, First Page for
Argentina, The Vanished Gallery
Brazil: Rio Maria Committee
Guatemala: Guatemala Initiative Austria
Haiti: Haiti - December 1995, International Peace Academy
Homepage, Washington Office on Haiti
Mexico: Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional, Zapatista Net of
Autonomy and Liberation
Other Countries: New Haven/Leon Sister City Project (Nicaragua)
- For those interested in anthropology and archeology, we added three new
links to the Indigenous People section of the Mexico page: The Feathered Serpent Pyramid Pages, The
Mayan Epigraphic Database Project, and Tarlton Law Library Resources on
Aztec & Maya Law. These resources can also be found, now, in the
Mexico section of the Indigenous page.
- New links in the Environment page:
"Conservation Connection" in the General Resources section; and
"Proyecto Biodiversidad Costero-Marina de República Dominicana" in the
new Dominican Republic section.
- The "World Bank: Country Overviews" have been added to the Ecuador, Jamaica, and
February 3, 1997
- Our site continues to be updated and re-organized, now is the turn of our
ex-Publication page, which has been re-named Publishers &
Bookdealers. In this page you can now find sections for Regional,
Country, and International Resources. The ex-section on Electronic
Publications, will form part of a new page "Electronic Publications"
which will be available soon.
- Due to the growth of economy-related resources in the Latin American
Internet, we are re-organizing the business, economy, and statistics
subject pages. A new version of the Economy page is now available. This new page
is divided into three sections: Academic Research Resources
including economic publications and research centers in Latin America,
Macroeconomic Data Resources, that compiles a long list of
institutions that produce economic data, and economy-related News &
- Billiken, a children's magazine from Argentina, has been added to the
Regional Resources section of our K-12 page.
- The Jorge Luis Borges Center for Studies & Documentation, has been
added to the Argentina section of our Literature page; you can also find the
journal Variaciones Borges, in the Journal & Magazines section of
the same page.
- One new link in our Language page:
the Summer Intensive Introductory Course on Yucatec Maya, can be
found under the Mayan Languages section.
- The Distance Education section of our Higher Education has two new links:
Adult Distance Education Internet Surf Shack, and NetMaster.
- The Venezuela page has two new links to
COPEI, the Partido Social Cristiano and La Red del Estado
Venezolano, both in the Government section.
- You can now find new resources for Brazil, including housing
and population data, on our Sociology page.
Back to What's
LANIC | Copyright © 1992-2015 University of Texas at