What's New Archives: May 1997
May 30, 1997
May 29, 1997
- Mexico Desconocido Virtual can now be found under the Travel &
Tourism section of the Mexico page.
- The Congreso del la Republica de Peru and the Parlamento Virtual
Peruano are the new additions to the Peru section of the Government & Politics page. As well, the
Organizacion Democrata Cristiana de America is now in the Regional
- The Military page has a new link to
the Fuerza Aerea de Chile.
- The magazine Venezuela Oil & Energy is now in the
Economics section of the Venezuela
May 28, 1997
- The new category, Science has been
added to the Subject Directory. This page is dedicated to the
natural and applied sciences within Latin America. The former
Astronomy page is now a section within this new Science page.
- New links added to our K-12 page: Maya
Civilization--Past & Present, Mundo Maya, and The World of the Mayan culture
... in the Regional Resources section.
- The Inca Trail and Machu Picchu has been added to the Travel &
Tourism section of our Peru page.
- The Fondo Editorial de la Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru
(PUCP) can be found in the Country Resources section of our
- New additions to the News page:
Diario del Lago, under the Venezuela section, and JINN, under Other
- Under the Trade page you will
find a link to the U.S. Trade Representaive, to the Asociacion Latinoamericana
de Integracion, and to the Latin Trade Magazine sites.
May 27, 1997
- A number of dictionaries have been added to our
Reference page: Acronyms The
WorldWideWeb Acronym and Abbreviation Server, The CEJ DOA (Dictionary Of
Acronyms), The Concise Dictionary of Programming, Diabetes Dictionary,
Dictionaries Quick Picks, Dictionary of Occupational Titles (DOT), The
Dictionary of Phrase and Fable,The Free On-line Dictionary of
Computing,The Internet Dictionary Project, Online Dictionary, The Virtual
Lexicon a Glossary Of VR Terms, and the Webster Dictionary Lookup.
- La pagina del idioma español has been added to the Spanish
section of our Languages page.
May 23, 1997
- "ChagoPRESS" - a Puerto Rican sports web site - has been added to the
"Art & Culture" section of the Puerto Rico page.
- The Human-Languages Page - Language & Literature, Spanish and the
Alternative Spanish Dictionary, have been added to the Spanish
section of our Languages page.
May 22, 1997
- The Revista Mexicana de Astronomia y Astrofisica, has been added to
the Journals & Magazines section of our Electronic Publications page.
- The Green Arrow Touristic guides for each of the Central America
countries (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras,
Nicaragua and Panama) , have been added to our Travel & Tourism page.
May 21, 1997
- The Instituto Paulo Freire, has been added to the Regional
Resources section of our Higher
- New link in the Languages page: The
- Our Libraries & Archives page, has the
following additions: Electronic Collections and Services, Cataloguing
and Indexing of Electronic Resources, and Library Resources on the
Internet, all of them in the Newsgroups & Network Resources
section. Also in the same page, you can now find Cataloguing &
Classification Quaterly, in the Digital Libraries & Library Online
May 20, 1997
- New links in our K-12 page: Educational
Sites in Latin America, in the Regional Resources section;
Bilingual/Latino Children's Library Internet Gateway and
The Elementary School Student's Internet Gateway, in the
International Resources section; and Hispanics Resources, in the
Teachers' Resources section.
- You can now find two sites about Paulo Freire and his work: Paulo Freire
and Biografias de Paulo Freire in the Latin American Resources
section of our Higher Education page.
Also in the same page, the Universidad Nacional de Lujan, has been added
to the Argentina section of Universities & Colleges by Country.
- The Peruvian journal "Avance Economico Online" has been added to the
Journals & Magazines section of our Electronic Publications page.
- La Fuerza Aerea de Chile can now be found in the Government
section of our Chile page.
- Two new sites have been added to our Literature page:
Antologia del Micro-cuento Inesperado in the Regional Resources
El Mundo del Coquijote from Puerto Rico, in the Other Latin American &
- The UNLU-Sistema de Busquedas en Biblioteca from the Universidad
Nacional de Lujan in Argentina, has been added to the Online Catalogs
& Homepages section, of our Libraries &
Archives page. In the same page you can now find IFLA-L a discussion
list for all the IFLA community, under the Newsgroups & Network
- "LatinTrade" magazine - a good source of business news on
Latin America and the Caribbean - has been added to the Periodicals &
News Sources section of the Business page.
- The "Estimates of the Resident Population of Puerto Rico Municipios"
data base has been updated to 1996 figures. You can find it under the
"Other Resources" section of the Puerto Rico
May 19, 1997
- La Revista de Fundamind, a journal about SIDA and HIV in Argentina
and Latin America, can now be found in the Journal & Magazines
section of our Electronic Publications page.
- You can now find the American School of Tegucigalpa in the Other
Latin American Schools section of our K-12 page.
- CENACORE Centro Nacional Cooperativo de Referencia from Venezuela,
has been added to the Online Catalogs & Homepages section of our
Libraries & Archives page. In the same page,
you can now find Las Bibliotecas Universitarias en Internet, in the
Newsgroups & Network Resources section.
- New links in our Higher Education
page: Universidad de Talca, from Chile, and the list Universidades,
Institutos, Ciencias, Investigación from Venezuela, in the College,
Universities, etc. section; the ETS Net Educational Testing Service
Network, in the International Resources section; and Quipunet from
Peru, and NTEN National Teachers Enhancement Network in USA, in the
Distance Education section.
May 16, 1997
- Visit the new poetry site "El Mundo del Coquijote" on the Puerto Rico page in the Arts & Culture.
May 14, 1997
- See the new Regional Chambers of Commerce section on the Business page.
May 12, 1997
- The Centro de Documentacion e Informacion, which houses an enormous
amount of bibliographic resources on Bolivia,
is new to LANIC today.
- The Paraguay page has three new links to
announce, including Economia Paraguaya; ProParaguay, Direccion General de
Promocion de las Exportaciones e Inversiones; and the Ministry of
Industry and Commerce.
- La Razon, a new electronic magazine out of Venezuela, is now in the country page's News &
Electronic Forums section.
- A new site to the Administracion de Servicios Medicos de Puerto Rico
is on our Health page.
- The Government & Politics page has
a new link to the Government of Puerto Rico, Office of the Governor.
May 8, 1997
- Our Indigenous page now includes The Central American
Institute of Prehistoric and Traditional Cultures at Belize, "a
non-profit research and educational institution for the purpose of
promoting the preservation of... the traditional knowledge and practices
of the Maya and Garifuna cultures, and to create and share a
collective consciousness of issues in the fields of ethnoscience, ecology,
archaeology, and ethnology".
- The Venezuela page has a number of new
links. They include:
- The Venezuelan Legal System, the Venezuelan Law Database, and a
Sensitive Map of Venezuela, in the General Information section;
- Venezuela: Temas de Politica Economia and the Venezuelan Electronic
Stock Exchange in the Business & Economics section;
- El Instituto Zuliano Estudios Políticos, Economicos y Sociales
(IZEPES) in the Education section;
- Profauna -- Ministerio del Ambiente y de los Recursos Naturales
Renovables in the Government & Politics section; and
- El Centro Nacional Cooperativo de Referencia (CENACORE), now in the
- The Suriname Information Desk is new to our growing Suriname page.
- Our Health page has a new link to
Salud Ambiental en Amazonia, from the Asociacion de Universidades Amazonicas.
May 7, 1997
- Check out all the new links on the Environment page:
- "Ecotourismo - CODETEL" in the Dominican Republic section.
- Two links in the new Jamaica section.
- "CENERGIA" and "Comisión de Ambiente, Ecología y Amazonía" in the
- Two links in the new Venezuela section.
- "Caribbean Environment Programme" and "Island Resources Foundation"
in the Regional Resources section.
- You can now find the following dictionaries: Business Dictionary,
Diccionario Anaya de la Lengua Española,
Diccionario electrónico trilingüe Guaraní-Alemán-Español, English to
Portuguese Dictionary, and Spanish to English, English to Spanish
Dictionary, in the Dictionaries & Encyclopedias section of our Reference page.
- New links in the Spanish Language Schools section of our Languages page: Study Spanish in
Quetzaltenango, in Guatemala; Peru AmeriSpan School and UPC-Perú Study
Abroad Program in Peru; and Latin America Traveler's Spanish Language
School Directory, in Regional Resources.
- New additions to our Electronic
Publications page: The Complete Online Medical Directory of Costa
Rica and Tierra de Caracoles, in the Books section; and
C.H.I.P.'S. in the Chilean Journals & Magazines section.
- Cuentos from "Tierra de Caracoles" has been added to the
Children's Literature in Spanish & Portuguese section, of our
- Cusco, Virtual Qosqo has been added to the Travel & Tourism
section of our Peru page.
May 6, 1997
- You can now find the following additions in our Electronic
Publications page: Intercambio Internet (Inter-Inter) in the
Books section; La Herencia del Norte, in the Journals &
Magazines Regional section, Punto Final in the Chile
section, and Dimension Virtual, and Entre Rayas in the Venezuela
- The TC 46:Technical Committee 46 on Information and
Documentation, from ISO (International Association for Standardization)
has been added to the International Associations section of our Libraries & Archives page.
- New links in the Country Resources section of our Travel & Tourism page: Turismo Argentina
site, The Health Tourism Corporation of Costa Rica, ABS Travel & Tours in
Ecuador, El Salvador Guide, and Puerto Rico Online Magazine.
- Datamétrica, under the Business & Economics section, and
Tecnet, under the Network Resources section; are the two new links
added to our Uruguay page.
- The Directorio de Instituciones Amazónicas-Perú from SIAMAZ, has been
added to the Flora, Fauna & Natural Resources section of our Peru page.
- The Publications of ISO (International Association for
Standardization) have been added to the International Resources
section of our Publishers page.
May 5, 1997
- The Venezuela page has a number of new
links. They include:
- Accion Democratica, the Instituto de Alto Estudios de la Defensa
Nacional and the Fondo Intergubernamental para la Descentralizacion, now
in the Government section;
- The Diario del Lago, one of the major newspapers for the state of
Zulia, in the News & Electronic Forums section;
- The Universidad Rafael Belloso Chacin, in the Education
- The economics magazine VenEconomia is also on-line, now in our
Business & Economics section.
- Two major Spanish-language pharmaceutical sites, FarmaNet and
Farmaweb.com, are now in the new Pharmaceuticals subject area on
our Health page.
May 2, 1997
- New links in the K-12 Schools by Country section our K-12 page: American
Institute of Monterrey, under Mexico; and EdúcaMe
from Colombia, Fatima College from Trinidad, and Lincoln International School
of the Holy Family from Nicaragua; under Other Latin American
K-12 Schools section.
- RN online a page from the Estado do Rio Grande do Norte, has been
added to the Brazil section of our Travel & Tourism page. In the same page you
can also find: Isla Margarita and Peninsula de Pariguana, in the
Venezuela section; Medellin, in the Colombia section; and sI
"Suriname Information Desk", in the Surinam section.
- The journal Futuro BioMedico, has been added to the Journals &
Magazines Regional Resources of our Electronic Publications page.
- Todo el Futbol Chileno, has been added to the General
Information section of our Chile page. Also
in the same page you can find Electronic Network for Schools (Chile),
under the Education section.
- A new link to the Other Latin American & Caribbean countries
section of our Literature page:
- You can now find the Guía Gastronómica de Caracas, in the
Venezuela section of our Food page.
- A new source in the Regional section of our Higher Education page: Historia de las
Universidades and other documents, by Francisco Avila F.
May 1, 1997
- The Academic section of the Mexico
page has now a new Journals` section.
- Also, in the Mexico page there are two new
search utilities: Zip Codes in Mexico and Sabueso, an Internet
White Pages book.
- The Latin America and the Caribbean list of internet sources,
prepared by the Columbia University, has been added to the Newsgroups
& Network Resources of our Libraries &
- One addition to the Regional Resources section of our Publishers page is SDS Publications,
from the Social Programs and Sustainable Development Department, of the
Inter-American Development Bank.
- Our Peru page, has a new link in the Other
Resources section: The Combi Page, a site devoted to the problems
of public transport in Lima.
Back to What's
LANIC | Copyright © 1992-2015 University of Texas at